Version 1.0.1 Released

Version 1.0.1 of Everest was approved this evening. I just pushed it to the App Store.

Aside from a few minor bug fixes, this version has two main things:

1. You can now sample from a hosted Generator app in any of the four loopers. Moreover, you can mix and match the pairing of hardware inputs and Generator App inputs to looper inputs. This means that you could have any one or more loops sample the Generator App, and the rest sample the microphone or USB interface you may be using.

To do this, you have to load a generator app, then activate the new "Inline" switch. It is located in the Inter-App Audio section of the Settings menu/page (Settings are accessed via the gear icon on the main screen).

After you do that, the 3rd and 4th hardware input selectors become the left and right outputs of the Generator App. You have to assign either the 3rd or 4th hardware input to the looper you want have record the Generator App. These are under the mixer Settings page, which again is under the settings menu/page. If you want to continue sampling the first or second channel from the hardware. leave the hardware input selection to 1 or 2 (this is the default). Note: If you disable the inline switch in the IAA section, the 3rd and 4th hardware inputs resume controlling the routing of the 3rd and 4th hardware input channels (if you have the hardware, of course).

The Inline switch and hardware input routing will be saved automatically, so when you reload Everest later on, all you have to do is re-load the Generator App you want to sample.

I should be able to make a video demo showing this soon.

I am also planning on creating a new user interface for the routing of the audio. This feature, and future features, really need to be expressed in a clearer way. There are MANY possibilities of how to use Everest and your iOS hardware. :)

2. The other major piece I updated is the synchronization code for hosted Generator and Effect apps. Some of the other apps out there were not able to tolerate Everest's simple 1/4 time signature. So, I bumped the time signature to 2/4 and all the apps I tested seemed to tolerate this new value. NOTE: this does not affect the current synchronization of the loops to each other. Nor does it affect the way the master beat is set. This only affects how hosted apps calculate their own tempo and "beat" (ultimately a 1/4 bar expressed in discrete samples).

Since the gold standard for IAA sync seems to be Garage Band, and that app does not allow for asymmetric time signatures (a pity, really), then it makes sense that other developers of other apps assumed that the time signatures of other hosts would perform similarly (common values like: 4/4, 3/4, etc.). Hence the need to normalize the numerator of the "beat" time signature with respect to the status quo.

So, if you were seeing weird sync behavior, it MAY have been the above issue, and everything should be syncing perfectly now.